One of the best ways to get noticed in this industry is to make a name for yourself and here are some tips on how to do this.
1) Attend conferences and network this is really easy to do depending on where you are in the World. There are loads of conferences in the USA and Europe, some are free and some require you to purchase a ticket. The great thing about conferences is that it’s full of security folks who love nothing more than talking about … that’s right SECURITY!!
2) Submit a talk to a conference. This is a great way to make a name for yourself, if you know a subject or find a bug in some software doing a talk at a conference about it really heightens your profile.
3) Write a tool that helps everyone in infosec it can be a simple tool or a really complex tool depending on how much time you have. The more useful the tool is the more your make a name for yourself. We are all lazy and love things that help make our lives and job easier so producing a tool that does this gets the thumbs up.
4) De-ice disks most of you should know about the De-Ice project for those of you who don’t.. shame on you. The De-Ice disk helps others like you train and learn cool new tricks, this is a great way to make some cool challenges and most people in security have used them or heard of them.
5) Last but not least, give back. This is the most important tip. If you achieve one of the above then you are giving back and you get a thumbs up. We would not have cool tools like metasploit and nmap to name some if people did not give up their time and effort to give back to everyone in security.